- What are your goals?
- Job, education, entrepreneurship?
- Where do you want to live?
- How much money do you want to make?
- Identify weaknesses in your resume
- What industry do I want to work in?
- What am I passionate about?
Plan / Fill Gaps
- Have at least two plans incase something goes wrong
- Address weaknesses
- Go to school, get certifications, etc.
- If going the education route start applying, writing essays, studying for GMAT, etc.
- Join veteran transition programs
- Start learning about for profit businesses, language, technology used, etc.
- Do market research on target industries and trends
- Put new knowledge to use.
- Network with people in target industry on LinkedIn
- Target other vets
- Start doing informational interviews with those that have a job description you're interested in
- Refine LinkedIn and resume for target roles
- This is by far the most important part of your transition. Your network is everything! NETWORK!
- Refine your resume, LinkedIn, and elevator pitch
- Start on Navy VA claims process and any other military related transition obligations
- Start prepping move, house hunting, logistics, etc.
- Continue to network and start targeting specific companies
- Build relationships within target companies
- Terminal leave
- Start applying for jobs
- Finish moving preparations
- Complete VA claims, medical, GI Bill